1.28.2007

Meet Stacy

Stacy, if you weren’t able to surmise from the photo, is the most precious four-year-old girl that has yet existed. Stacy latched onto me from the very beginning, enamoured by a strange new light-coloured friend. Every time she sees me, no matter how far away she is, she yells "muzungu!" or her attempt at my name, then runs and jumps into my arms. And I might as well not even bother trying to let her down. Stacy is hilariously exuberant, and very quickly has me bent double in laughter. If ever I succeed to let her down from my arms, she promptly plunges herself into an over-zealous portrayal of traditional Burundian dance or runs off with an object she’s pilfered from my pocket.

Stacy’s mother is a young, orphaned relative of Cassien. At the same time as trying to put her daughter through school, she also is finishing her studies. Because of all the challenges they face, Stacy hasn’t been able to go to a good school. Until today. Someone who has been captured by this little child has eagerly committed to take responsibility for the school fees, school food costs, and uniforms for her to attend a good school, and Monday, today, is her registration.

Let’s remember all the other children in Africa who still aren’t able to go to school at all, and who don’t have parents to care for them. The future of these children is in God’s hands; the future of this continent is in the balance. If anyone is interested, I’m sure I could easily find a little cutie for you to assist in this way.

5 comments:

sara said...

sweet! i can't stop staring at her. she's delightful.

Brian and Erin said...

Hey man. It's great to hear about all of those that you come into contact with and have touched you in someway.

Keep up the jogging!

Erin Sigler said...

we are so blessed.

peace,
Erin

Anonymous said...

brandon,
all your girl cousins have always loved you as well. So it is no surprise to us that you are still the sweetheart. How does she get brandon out of muzungu?

jocelyn said...

she is breathtakingly beautiful. first from her picture and then from the joy that exudes from the description of her personality.