1.13.2007

Meet Cassien


Cassien is the director of Help Channel Burundi, the non-profit, Burundian NGO to whom I am seconded from MCC. Cassien is my neighbour and close friend. He is also a big businessman here in Burundi, although he has relinquished prosperity and instead works for the benefit of the poor. With the revenue from their various businesses, Cassien and his wife, Beatrice, care for 40 relatives orphaned from the war or from HIV/AIDS. He strives to ensure that each has food and clothes, can attend school, and can remain in the house of their parents. On top of all of that, I have just learned that Cassien is also building three schools in the east of the country; I don’t doubt there is more. Cassien has a wonderful laugh and a good sense of humour, and is very fun to spend time with. Even though it is very fun to spend time with him, it is always very humbling. How is it that I find myself in Africa, surrounded by undignified poverty, and in the presence of people like Cassien who have renounced false security to live for something truly worthwhile, and yet I am still selfish? Sure, in a sense I have given up comfort and security, and have dedicated the next several years to become somewhat like Cassien, but it is such a slow process and daunting in scope. Do I have what it takes to let go of ‘me’ and so to truly realize the potential of who I am meant to become? Honestly, I don’t know; but I am glad to have a friend like Cassien whose life is a constant encouragement to ambitiously pursue the good of those in need. I would like very much for you to meet him someday.

“Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” (Matthew 10.39)

3 comments:

sara said...

thanks. and you've no idea- they're knocking my door down.

what's this i hear about a kitten?

great post (and photo) by the way. i hope i get to meet cassien.

Joseph said...

You are truely blessed to have such friendships and to have such experiences in your life to help to shape you and your character.
I know that many of my african friends both those I knew for a short time and those I still am in contact with, both have a part in shaping who I am and how I choose to live. It is still hard to live here in Canada, have an overabundance, and therefore become selfish, but I am blessed to remember the friendships that I have made with those who have not worldly riches but rather they live for what truely matters in life. It is a shame that we cannot all be friends with Cassien.

Anonymous said...

hey brando.
thought of you today - I was in band in church today and fowler had your taylor - he loves it - it was good to see it again - and share with others what you're doing in burundi. fowler even joked that if he bought your guitar - he'd be supporting missions!
anyways - I too, would love to meet Cassien - and be surrounded in such company as yours.
God bless you brother.
Goose