11.10.2006

amahoro!

in kirundi, that means "peace," and it's the common gretting here in bujumbura, from where i greet you now. i haven't prepared anything to write, as i am very surprised this morning to catch a strong wireless internet signal from somewhere nearby where we, help channel burundi, are setting up our new office after moving from the outskirts of the city.

burundi is incredible! after being in transit for two full days, i found myself sitting under a thatched roof drinking iced tea while looking across vast lake tanganyika to the high mountain ranges of the congo. behind me is bujumbura, the capital city, and behind it are the heavily populated hills of the countryside. there is barely a square metre in the entire country that isn't inhabited. burundi is africa's second most densely populated country (behind rwanda), and is bustling to say the least. today i have not yet seen another muzungu, which is what people yell out with a smile and a thumbs-up when they see me. but i will; at the least, i'll see one whizzing by in one of the ubiquitous white UN landcruisers.

next week i look forward to touring the various help channel operations in the countryside, and getting a better grasp of what i will be doing. for now, my orientation continues, and my french classes will soon begin. i should conclude before my connection disappears, but i promise more soon, including photographs!

for now, peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brandon, welcome to Africa, muzungu. How many thousand times have I been called that? "Muzungu! Give me one shilling!" God is your refuge, and ever-present strength. Miss you brother

Erin Sigler said...

Awesome! I´m so glad to hear you arrived safely and are settling in. I got to Cali last thursday and moved in with my family tonight. They are amazing! They had signs up all over the house when I got here. I´m feeling pretty spoiled at the moment because I have high speed internet in the house, but de todos modos...I´m using it to catch up with fine folks like yourself. keep me updated!

peace,
Erin

rob said...

brandon! oh i am so glad to hear from you and know that you are safe and well.... i'm so so so excited for pictures and more updates. promise you'll update often?? and keep close observation on the UN workings, i want detailed reports and opinions from you as to how they're working there. i might, afterall, be in one of those ubiquitos land cruisers one day..... love and miss you already....
your sis
rob