10.29.2006

the new is coming



one more week remains until i say goodbye to everything that i know, to everything that i've ever known. next saturday evening i'll board a plane whose destination is the far end of far away, and my ticket is not for a return flight.

this, of course, hasn't really sunk in yet. currently, i find myself in amish country, pennsylvania, for orientation at mcc headquarters. as i jog along the rural roads, i observe those beautiful people bringing in their harvest by horse and by hand. having eaten at one of their tables and been gifted with a glimpse into their world, my heart aches for their them as they grieve from their recent tragedy. then my heart recalls the lingering pain of our family's own tragedy. there has been loss. but there is Peace. and there is Beauty. and there is Hope.

a horse's large head suddenly arches into my path, its neck stretching far over the split-rail fence. i am surprised out of my introspection and onto the task at hand: i am running, on a paved road, in heartland america, dodging a horse. my breathing is deep but controlled; my legs feel good; the late october breeze chills my perspiring skin. the immediacy of it all is nearly overwhelming. but this, too, shall soon be memory. the new is coming.

i am excited.

6 comments:

bri and shawn said...

brandon!
i love you lots. i can't believe you're leaving so soon! i wish we could hang out once more, perhaps where you are, as it sounds beautiful! but alas, our worlds are veering in different, but connected, directions. my heart will go with you to Africa, as part of my heart is already there, i do believe.
email me often. send me pictures. and love. and earrings.
love you

rob said...

mom told me she cried when she read this post. well you are eloquently poetical i suppose...
dude. i'm going to miss you so much. did you get my letter? are you going to call me before you leave? if you are, will you email me when you're going to call so i know to be around the phone or to give you a number of a friend's cell phone that you could call on or something? i know you're probably so busy and thinking of way more things than any of us could imagine but i'd love to hear you once more from this continent... :) i love you. you're the best.
your sis
rob

Anonymous said...

Hey man, it's been a while. But it looks like were going to run into each other in Burundi. We fly in on the 23rd of Dec. Hald way through our tour de Africa, sans bikes.

We leave tomorrow. See ya then.

Every Blessing

Anonymous said...

sorry that's half way

Erin Sigler said...

Hey brando!
I hope you arrived safely. Colombia has been great so far...I´ve spent a lot of time catching up with my family here in Bogotá and doing random orientation stuff here. I head to Cali on Thursday. I hope that your acclimation goes well. Take care.

peace,
Erin

jason said...

crazy...burundi.

the interesting thing is: rebecca and i are likely going to be there at some point too.

hope you're enjoying the culture shock.