8.30.2007

Routine

Some people have asked me about my routine- what does a normal day look like for me in Burundi? When I got home last night and was reflecting for a moment, I realized I had had a most wonderful day; and although it hadn't been anything out of the ordinary, perhaps it could have been called a day of ideal routine. 


0730- Wake up. Strong, dark coffee from a press. Whole wheat toast with cheese. Fresh pineapple.  
0830- Watch Le Téléjournal de Radio Canada, news from Québec on TV5 (France morning television).
0910- Arrive at work. Email. Put almost-finishing touches on 2006 Annual Report in French.
1200- Home for a special lunch, to which I've invited Emmanuel and his wife. Eat like royalty. 
1400- Back to work. Email. Skype with Mr. James Perreaux. He asks me if I shower; respond in the affirmative. Even use soap. Feel somewhat homesick. Chat with Antonio on MSN. Should be working. Coffee.
1700- 2 hours to finalize French translation of the annual report with good friend Jean-de-Dieu. Completion brings grand sense of accomplishment and relief. 
1900- Skype with Duncan, says there's a power cut at the gym. 
1930- Duncan's proven correct, I'm alone at the gym, exercising by candlelight. Quite enjoyable, actually; nobody is around to see my profuse sweating. A choir practices next door and makes me very glad to be in Africa.  
2030- Leave the gym when the candles burn out. 
2100- Home. Shower. Warm up dinner of pasta with fresh fish. Paul Desmond on the stereo (thank aloud Mr. Daryl Alford for the iPod and Benedikte for the stereo). 
2200- Read a chapter of Sa Majesté des Mouches (The Lord of the Flies).
2300- Not entirely abstemious nightcap while catching TV5 Africa news.  
2330 or so- Collapse in bed. Reflect on enjoyable day. 

2 comments:

Laura J said...

you and your use of the word abstemious!!!

bri and shawn said...

i agree with laura j--i don't even know what that means and I teach grade 2!

love you