7.17.2007

Experience Burundi


Lars squirts a worm from his hip. Matt recoils at the sound of a guinea pig’s skull popping in the jaws of a large crocodile. Together they brave open cobra cages in the world’s poisonous snake capital. Together they scoff at the hippos in Lake Tanganyika for the pleasures of bodysurfing. Lars and Matt experience Burundi.

Things got slightly out of hand last night when our game of croquet turned ugly, and Seth wasn’t entirely prepared for the competition put forth by the Canadian contingent. Perhaps expecting a more conservative and orderly arrangement, he soon found himself reeling on the other side of the yard after Lars sent him running like 1812. Braving canine land mines, massive drop-offs and invisible wickets, the US captured second and third place, but gold was solidly in Canada’s hands despite being outnumbered by a factor of two.

I wonder if my cat will ever be the same after a mortally frightful encounter with Matt’s beard. Matt wonders if all females respond the same way. Lars wonders if he’ll ever have a beard. I wonder if Matt and Lars will ever be the same after Burundi. I wonder if Burundi will ever be the same after Matt and Lars. I wonder if it’ll again be such a long time before I see them again. I wonder how long it will be before I am able to see the others who aren’t here with us but who have often been the subject of our conversations. I wonder if you’ll soon be able to experience Burundi yourself.


Read Matt and Lars' account here.

3 comments:

Joseph said...

I eagerly look forward to the retun of my friends to hear the stories, see the pictures, and witness the change this experience has made in their lives. Yet you Brandon, will remain in Burundi. I do not wonder, I know that your life is being challenged/grown/and stretched. I think that those of us who are blessed to know you, will all experience a part of Brundi through your life my brother.

I will paitently wait for the day when we will sit together again, coffee in hand, and talk. Bujumbura? St. Catharines?... I wonder...

rob said...

looks like you've got a growing list of people contemplating the trek out to visit you and bujumbura, brandon. hope i can make it work for me. we'll see. yeah, you missed a good cottage weekend. it certainly isn't the same these days, but that's just what happens. i keep forgetting that you have a cat! :) that makes me happy. you know we have two kittens eh? they're quite cute. anyways, love you. miss you.

Anonymous said...

You have such an amazing way of writing that we feel your emotions and just want to give you a big hug.
And like joe, says here or there, who knows....
we think of you often.....
love from
Betty